The message we were getting in the event log was:
The number....right after SERVER=OURSQLSERVER? 64229? That is the port that our instance of SQL was originally running on. Turns out when we restored the SQL instance to our new server...the port had changed!
So we went into SQL Server Configuration Manager, selected the SQL Server Network Configuration, Protocols for (Instance Name), selected TCP/IP, right clicked and selected properties. Once the TCP/IP properties dialog box comes up, select the IP Addresses tab and in our case we scrolled to the bottom of the page to TCP Dynamic Ports under the IPALL heading and found the new port our SQL instance was running under.
Now, to get RDS up and running we could do one of two things....We can change the port the SQL instance is running under, stop and restart the SQL instance....or we can change the connection string that we referenced earlier. So we chose to do the later. We changed the 64229 port in the connection string to the new port 64225 and WHAM!!! RDS Management service started right up when we started it under services.
So after a quick happy dance. We tried RDS and we were back in business!
Hope this helps someone!
Thanks for reading!